RegisterRegister  Forum RSSForum RSS    FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

The history of marshmallows!
‹‹ View previous topic   /   View next topic ››

Post new topic    Reply to topic     Skinny Panda Forum Index -> Everything Else
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:41 pm
jenjen

SUBJECT: The history of marshmallows! Reply with quote

[copied from http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blmarshmallows.htm]

The following answer to the question "Where did marshmallows come from?" is FAQ number nine on the [alt.food.peeps] Peeps FAQ maintained by Annie.

http://faqs.org/faqs/food/candy/peeps/preamble.html

"Marshmallow candy dates back to ancient Egypt where it was a honey-based candy flavored and thickened with the sap of the root of the Marsh-Mallow plant (althea officinalis). Marsh-Mallow grows in salt marshes and on banks near large bodies of water. It is common in the eastern United States. Until the mid 1800's, marshmallow candy was made using the sap of the Marsh-Mallow plant. Gelatin replaces the sap in the modern recipes."

Today's marshmallows are a mixture of corn syrup or sugar, gelatin, gum arabic and flavoring.

Extract from:
Viable Herbal Solutions
Marshmallow
http://www.metromkt.net/viable/1marshma.shtml

"Nineteenth century doctors extracted juice from the marsh mallow plant's roots and cooked it with egg whites and sugar, then whipped the mixture into a foamy meringue that later hardened, creating a medicinal candy used to soothe children's sore throats. Eventually, advanced manufacturing processes and improved texturing agents eliminated the need for the gooey root juice altogether. Unfortunately, that eliminated the confection's healing properties as a cough suppressant, immune system booster and wound healer."

Extracts from:
Nabisco Recipes
About Jet-Puffed Marshmallows History
http://www.nabiscorecipes.com/jetpuffed/index.Asp

"The candy makers needed to find a new, faster way of making marshmallows. As a result, the "starch mogul" system was developed in the late 1800s. Rather than making marshmallows by hand, the new system let candy makers create marshmallows in molds made of modified cornstarch (like jelly beans, gummies and candy corn are made today). At about the same time, mallow root was replaced by gelatin, providing marshmallows with their "stable" form...

...In 1948, Alex Doumak, a marshmallow manufacturer, began experimenting with different methods of marshmallow making. Doumak was looking for ways to speed up production and discovered the "extrusion process", which revolutionized marshmallow production. Now, marshmallows can be made by piping the fluffy mixture through long tubes and cutting its tubular shape into equal pieces. "

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:59 am
skinnypanda
Site Admin

SUBJECT: Wow. Reply with quote

I would like a prescription for wound-healing marshmallows, please.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:14 pm
Miki

SUBJECT: Hooray for marshmallows! Reply with quote

How about some wound-inducing marshmallows so the wound-healing marshmallows can go to work?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/753d/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/7b54/

I'm thinking of getting some of these for the office.... Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:14 pm
pandaran

SUBJECT: Reply with quote

Two things:

Ahhh! Omigosh! I'm getting one of those for my aunt! Marshmallow fights are a family tradition. I remember the first one I was in. It was my birthday and they made me stay downstairs (it's one of those weird lake houses on a hill where the main living area and front door are upstairs) while they got "something" ready. I was thinking it was silly because they couldn't really surprise me with a cake or the "Happy Birthday" song when they'd been so obvious in sneaking my friend out of the room and leaving me alone. But when they finally called me upstairs, they sang about half of the "Happy Birthday" song and then suddenly I was being pelted by big white things!! Marshmallows, of course. Hehe, they managed to surprise me after all!

And this last Easter season was so awesome! I was working at a ski resort, and they always hire a lot of international kids (aka anywhere from 17-25,usually). So I got to be good friends with a few kids from Argentina. They were hanging out at our apartment one day when we got to talking and discovered that they had never heard of marshmallows! So, of course we ran to the store to buy some Peeps! First, we had to teach them the bloodthirsty tradition of eating them by ripping off their heads with your teeth. Then we shared the amazing spectacle of a Peep being microwaved. I only wish I'd thought to get a video of it before it was over! Their expressions were priceless! XD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:05 am
jenjen

Quote:
First, we had to teach them the bloodthirsty tradition of eating them by ripping off their heads with your teeth. Then we shared the amazing spectacle of a Peep being microwaved.

Those are the only Easter traditions in my house!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 am
mikote

I bet those marshmallows would be delicious. I wonder if you can buy them anywhere. Sigh... all we have now is corn syrup and aritficial ingredients.

Page 1 of 1